Friday, February 27, 2009

Where Everyone knows my name: Part 2 Science Guy Edition

Ok, so I had to divide up the posts, because they were just way too long. Part 1 of the evening is down below.

So, Ro & Meg were very firmly on the Muckraker hate train which led them to ask what was up with Science guy?

Now, they've both met him, and they both liked him. In fact, they went on, and on, and on, and on, about how much they liked him, how sweet he seemed, how it seemed he was really into me, how thoughtful he is... Prince charming, right?

They asked me when was the last time I'd heard from him, what was he up to right now, we should invite him for drinks, etc. I was exasperated and pulled out my phone and said to Ro-- "If you're that interested, why don't you call him?"

And then... She Did.

Conversation? Went like this:

Ring Ring

SG: Hello?

Ro: Hi, I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Hypatia's friend. We met that time at the movies?

SG: Ummm...

Ro:Well, some of us are at the [name of bar] and we wondered if you'd like to join us for drinks.

SG: This is really awkward. Can you put Hypatia on? {as I'm trying to grab the phone from Ro}

Ro: Why is this awkward?

SG: Um. Because I can see her. I'm here now.

DOH!

Like I said, this is a small town. I bet I would not have this problem if I lived in NYC. (And had friends who didn't act like 5th graders when they've had a few drinks. You'd never guess that they both have Ph.Ds and one of them is a Rhodes Scholar. Such disgraceful behaviour! :-0 )

So, Science guy was a good sport and came over and said hi. I asked him if he'd like to sit down, and he said he was here with a friend, and I said, oh bring him over. Awkward pause... Oh, I can't. better be getting back. I'll call you sometime this weekened. Ok....

I look over to where he's sitting-- Literally 2 tables away, and realize that I'm directly in his line of sight, (though he's a bit hidden from mine)... and I also realize that he is very obviously ON A DATE.

Oh. Ugh. Oops. Um.

Ro & Megs CRACK UP. And so do I, I admit. I don't think I've laughed so hard in a few years. Immature? Oh, yes. But that was the best thing to happen-- to spend time with the two of them. I'd been feeling a bit down, and this was really rejuvenating.

I ran into about 3 other people before I left that night, including my boss (though, that's no surprise since he basically lives at this bar.) I did wonder how much they'd witnessed of this evening though! Oh well...

I sent Science Guy a message when I got home saying--basically-- I'm sorry my friends are 5th graders!

He said, No problem. I'll call you sometime this weekend.

So. We shall see. I'll let you know how that conversation goes...

1 comment:

arf said...

I think that's the funniest awkward story I've read in a long while. Thanks!