Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hypochondria?

I know I tend to be a bit melodramatic when it comes to illnesses, real or perceived... however, I spent last weekend in very close proximity to someone who has been diagnosed with H1N1. (Work colleague.) There are umpty-million cases at my place of employment at the moment, so it was bound to happen, but I've been feeling run-down, achy, stuffy, sore-throaty since then. I also read that another symptom of swine flu is nausea, and since I totally felt like I was going to throw up all last night I'm even more paranoid.

I mean, if I have it there's nothing much to be done, eh? Rest, and liquids and all that...

Jedi came over last night (before I was feeling so sick), and he insisted on staying after I started feeling really terrible. And that's really what this post is about-- his attentiveness. When I'm sick I go back and forth between wanting someone to take care of me and wanting to crawl into a cave alone like a wounded animal. But he stayed and brought me liquids and tucked me in. It was appreciated. Unexpected, unasked for, but appreciated. Though... I don't know that I would do the same for him. Terrible, eh? I guess I'm not saying I wouldn't but at the same time I certainly wouldn't get too close to someone who may have swine flu.

Though, as he pointed out, if I'm sick with it he's surely already been exposed.

I guess. I'm still not that selfless. I would have hightailed it out of there.

But he's kind of special... In all senses of that word. Ha.

No comments: