Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Avoidance

Avoidance is something I'm either really good at... or really bad at, depending on how you look at it.

Do I avoid doing unpleasant things? Of course... (Usually by diving into a tub of Ben & Jerry's, but that's a post for another day....)

So, it will come as no surprise to anyone that I have avoided talking to Atlas about my feelings. Npapaya all but called me a coward today (Or maybe she was out-and-out calling me a coward... I may have been distracted by chocolate...she's totally right! I own it!) for not addressing this issue.

My mom also told me I need to have a conversation with Atlas, but with my mother's advice you should usually do the exact opposite to end up on the plus side of the equation. (Sound harsh...? Ya, but then again, YOU haven't met her...)

It wasn't until a colleague pointed out the *real* issue at play though that I decided to do something. That issue? Avoidance.

Yeah, Atlas has his issues. But so do I. And one of my big ones? Is avoidance. I may not have a future with Atlas, but I won't have a future with anyone unless I deal with *MY* issues head on.

So I dealt with my avoidance tonight. (Albeit in a probably cowardly way... Via Email. Hey! In my defense, Atlas & I have never actually talked on the phone! All our communications have been via email! So I figured it was acceptable. Stop judging me!)

Give me props. I stopped avoiding my avoidance issues. For today at least.

I can't promise anything about tomorrow....

No comments: