Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When have I ever told you to hurry?


Jedi is sick, poor guy, with a sore throat, congestion, and terrible hacking cough. I actually think it's a virus we've been passing back and forth for awhile and that it's part of the reason it took me so long to recover from surgery.

As a result of his illness it hurts to talk so this morning as we were getting up he was pantomiming instead of talking to me.

Now, you have to know this about me... I'm usually late. I know, I know, it's a terrible habit. The problem is that-- in my head-- it somehow makes total sense that if I'm supposed to BE someplace at 6:30, if I leave the house at 6:30... it's exactly the same thing. FAIL. And yet, left to my own devices, I would just do it again and again and again.

Jedi on the other hand is usually early.

In the mornings he gets up before I do to shower (I shower in the evenings because if I had to shower in the morning I'd never even make it out of bed; that task would just seem too daunting.) When he gets out of his shower he usually wakes me up, and I usually say... "Give me 5 more minutes." (I say this about 3 times usually... sometimes 4... sometimes I say-- "I'll drive myself to work." Just so I can get 30 minutes more sleep. BAD!)

This morning as I was in bed he holds up both hands with his fingers outspread. I didn't understand what he meant. He made some other gestures I didn't understand, which I took to mean "Hurry up!... you only have 10 minutes!" (Which, under the circumstances would have been appropriate.)

A bit annoyed I said to him, "Are you telling me to hurry up?!"

Exasperated, he croaked, "I was telling you you look like a perfect 10. When have I ever told you to hurry?!"

That, dear reader, is precisely why I love him. Not because he thinks I'm a perfect 10 (that just tells me he's a myopic crazy person,) but because he's never told me to hurry. And he HATES being late.

But he's never told me to hurry.

He hears me complain about my weight.

But he's never told me to put down those nachos.

He hears me complain about my lack of money.

But he's never told me I shouldn't buy that dress.

He hears me complain about my thesis.

But he's never said, "How much did you get done today?"


I think 9 out of 10 guys WOULD say those types of things. It's not something I would tolerate if they did, but I would understand the impulse (because *I* have that impulse too!)

But Jedi? He's just completely accepting and non-judgmental, even of things that drive him crazy.

He is pretty damn awesome.

(And I need to be a better girlfriend and get up earlier so that I don't drive him crazy, I realize this...!)

No comments: