Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Not quite the gift of the Magi...

Jedi had a gift for me under the tree that he was totally hopped up about. It was in a gift bag and he kept admonishing me not to peek inside... all the while saying things like, "I've been wanting to get you this since we met!" "I can't wait to see your face!" "I really hope you love it!"

I finally said, "Do you WANT me to open it now?"

He said, "No. No... Do YOU want to open it now?" Eager puppy-dog look.

So, of course, we agreed to exchange just one gift...

(Now, I should mention that the gift that I exchanged with him at this particular time is one that I'd sneakily gone to his mother to find out that he wanted. It was a video game that is rather hard to find.

The Saturday before this particular exchange Jedi had asked his mother if she'd gotten him the game for Christmas. She apparently had a totally blank look and didn't know which game he was talking about. Jedi spend TWO DAYS driving me CRAZY talking about how he should just buy himself the game because he'd be so disappointed if he didn't get it for Christmas, and how it's impossible to find, and his mother wouldn't even know where to look, and his life would be over if he didn't get this game, etc. etc. (Ok, yes, there's a bit of hyperbole in there, but I was ready to STRANGLE him.)

Meanwhile I had already ordered and received the game. I had made him promise not to buy it for himself before Christmas and told him to have more faith in his family, but he was totally still a pouty-mcpoutypants about the whole thing. Driving me NUTS I tell you!)

But, back to that mysterious bag...

Jedi watches me intently as I open the bag... (frankly, I was a little worried there was a ring or something in there...)

And I pull out a ....
Yes. A Red, Wool Scarf.

Was this a joke, I wondered...

I shook the bag a little to be sure I wasn't missing something.

I put on my best, "Oh, grandma got me underwear for christmas and I have to thank her" face.

Or, otherwise known as "Present Face."


Well, he could read my present face and was all disappointed. "You don't like it, do you?"

"No! It's not that! It's great... it's just... Um... What made you choose this for me?"

He said, "Well, ever since we met, I noticed you're always wearing scarves, and I've wanted to get one for you..."

Light Bulb Going On

"Ooooh. Um. Babe, I wear Pashminas... you know, shawls?"

(Example!)


(What can I say-- I know they're no longer "in style" but frankly I think it's a look that never goes out of style. And they're so practical!)


Poor guy. He spent the night apologizing (ridiculously so, and I told him that...I felt so bad that I wasn't able to better disguise my dislike... but I was so surprised!)

He offered to take it back, but I told him I wanted to keep it as a memento-- and I do.

I then gave him his gift...

His response? (Besides childlike wonder and glee?)

"Damn. I'd better step it up."

No worries, dear reader, he stepped it up. He stepped it up.

Details in the next post, because this one is long enough...

No comments: