Monday, June 29, 2009

What a nice change of pace


I met Science Guy for brunch and then a matinee on Sunday.... and I had a really good time. Sure, he has his moments of immaturity and cluelessness (let's chalk this up to age, shall we? He's 27.) But overall he's just a genuinely nice guy. Note: he's not a faux nice-guy who is constantly going on about what a "Nice Guy" he is, and why he can't get the girls. When I observe him I just see him doing little things that add up to a lot.

Little things like:

*Holding the door open. (Not in an obnoxious-show-offy-way.)
*Helping old ladies up the stairs. (Again, not in a show-offy way. (And I think we can all agree that we know when someone does something for show as opposed to because it's who they really are.
*Noticing that the brand of sweetener we both use is down to the last packet, and offering it to me.
*Insisting on paying. (Note: I didn't let him pay for breakfast, though he wanted to, so he covered the movie.)
*Asking if I wanted anything from the concession stand.
*Asking if I wanted the air turned on in the car
*Asking which station I wanted to listen to
*Asking if I minded if he turned up the sound when a song he liked came on.

*Randomly giving me compliments that were just little throw-away remarks.
-I'll highlight this one because it's something he does often. This time it was about my writing, and he mentioned that he thinks I'm a fantastic writer. (Note: untrue, but appreciated!) But he makes small off-hand remarks that always lift my spirits, and again-- I don't think they're calculated, which make them seem much more genuine to me, much more believable. Other people... (ahem. who shall remain nameless)... have given me compliments, but they've always felt very pre-thought out, very calculated to elicit a certain reaction. I might be over thinking it, but all I know is that Science guy makes me feel really great about myself.

I'll add also that he was looking very handsome on Sunday, and he was very flirty. I do think that there can be something there if I want it, and I'm starting to think more and more that I do.

He's made no bones about the fact that he doesn't want to date around though-- that he wants to find "the one" and settle down. I find this a bit scary, though, ostensibly it's what I want as well. (...I think I'm just worried about making a mistake and picking the wrong "one"... which, you don't really know until it's too late.) Anyhoo, it was all very much couched in hypotheticals though it was clear we were talking about ourselves.

I think at this point I'm the one who needs to make a move if anything is going to happen, and that makes me nervous. I'm a liberated woman, yeah, but I don't like to be the one who is the aggressor.

No comments: