Thursday, September 17, 2009

In which Npapaya is right... (as always.)

I had a date with Mr.2young last night and I was surprised to find it more enjoyable than I had anticipated. (I know, I know... with such a great attitude, it's a wonder I don't date more often! Ha.)

We met up for drinks and had a good conversation for about an hour. He then asked if I'd like to continue on to dinner. We waited awhile for a table, and then eventually moved to the pizza joint down the street because it was taking too long. I covered the drinks (paid when he was in the restroom,) and he covered dinner.

He was cute, funny, down-to-earth, and really, REALLY nice. I have to give him major kudos for making an effort to dress up and look nice (and he did!). He seemed very considerate as well.

Now, for the down sides--His life is kind of a mess at the moment, but he's working to get it back on track, and he's back in school to become a history teacher (in the meantime he works in a warehouse). He also currently lives with his parents. In spite of my super-snobbish ways I don't fault him for any of these things... And this is really where his age is a benefit. If he was 28 or 29 and living with his parents I'd be running far, FAR away. But, I recall where I was at 22 and it wasn't much different from what he's doing. However... I see how far I've come, and there's a whole hell of a lot of learning between 22 and 28.

Given the age difference the fact that he said he couldn't see settling down at a 'young' age left me ambivalent. On the one hand I certainly applaud the sentiment, not being a big fan of settling down young myself. On the other hand, as I mentioned before, I can't really wait around for him to turn 30 (or older!)

I actually did have a good time. Other than the age thing (and, oh-- he's southern and really rather religious, which doesn't quite work for me...) if he were older and more established I would totally give him another shot.

Which means I should probably give him another shot now, right?

*sigh* I know, I know. It's like Npapaya has pointed out many times-- The truth is I just don't really want to be dating. (Ha... I'm like one of those republicans who SAYS she wants healthcare reform but then nixes any actual plans to reform healthcare... ha. Just as an aside.)

Oh. I should probably also mention that I did something that was in rather poor form last night. I kept mentioning that it was getting rather late, that I should probably be going, that I had to get up early tomorrow. (It's the truth. I'm just wiped out at the moment. It's a really busy season at work.) I eventually said I had to go, and I figured it was probably close to 11pm when I left. (Yes, I probably should have asked.)

Well... Imagine my surprise when I got home and checked the clock and saw that it was only 8:30pm. Ooops!

I figured he must have thought that I was giving him a total brush off!

However, he had emailed me before I had even gotten home to ask if I wanted to go to a concert next week. (I can't. I'm working!) I did apologize though and let him know that I really wasn't trying to make a getaway, and that I'd be happy to get together again.

We'll see. On the one hand I really do like him. On the other, I really don't feel like it has any place to go, so I shouldn't waste my time (or his.)

On the third hand, he seems to like me. And I like that. And he's nice. And I like that too. So... maybe I should give it a shot?

(Oh, btw... Since he was once studying to be a minister I really doubt I can anticipate any good ole fashioned fornicating. Bummer.)

No comments: