Thursday, September 3, 2009

Not Surprised, Kind of Amused

So, it's been 2 days and I haven't heard back from the guy I went out on the coffee date with. I had emailed him after our coffee, and after he had indicated that he would like to see me again.

Therefore, why am I not surprised that I didn't hear from him? Because of the vibe I got from him when we met. He had very much the air of someone who had once been very popular in high school, but that his life hadn't quite lived up to that potential. Things like his insistance that he wasn't the type of person who HAD to go online to get a date (you know. Unlike the rest of us losers. Ha. Yeah right.) His mention of another girl he'd met online and how even though he didn't want to go out with her again, it made him feel good that she contacted him to get together again. (I don't blame him for this. I certainly feel the same way... in fact, sometimes when I'm looking for a bit of a self-esteem boost I'll put a profile up on some sites that I haven't been on in a long time. There's always a bunch of new emails when you're new on a site.)

Like I said, not much invested in this one, and the vibe was kind of off from the start. BUT I do find it amusing that he was really insistant about wanting to see me again when I left, and now he's not responded. Maybe this is progress... at some other times I would have been depressed by this, I think.

The OTHER thing I'm amused about is Muckraker. The dude has ISSUES. (Not that we didn't know this...) My friend Nell asked him out a little while back and evidently he got really uptight and said, "I don't think of you that way."

The reason this is funny is because we all have a mutual friend--Mary-- that I was having dinner with last night. Mary mentioned that Muckraker had confided in her earlier in the summer that if Nell were free (she is, she just had some lingering issues with an ex.) he would really like to date her.

I couldn't stop laughing... I think I know why this dude's single.

And in Not Surprised, but kinda bummed news: Descartes had written back to me after accepting my friend request, and I had written back a somewhat flirty little email.

No response.

*sigh* Nell says that she's not surprised, that her brother is the kind of guy who wouldn't know what to say because he's so shy.

My friend Dee thinks that I should email him again... but really? How could I really do that without coming off as a crazy person? I think I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that he comes here for the holidays and try and engineer a get together at that point.

No comments: