Monday, September 21, 2009

A tale of two dates- Part #1

Two dates in one weekend? Wow...maybe this is the start of a hot streak!

Let's start with date #2. I went out with RinkRat on Sunday, just for coffee... and boy, did he live up to his name! Practically the only thing he could talk about was hockey.

It wasn't a bad coffee date. It wasn't a good coffee date. It was just kind of ...dull... But the guy seemed nervous, so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was very, very, very quiet. I could barely make out 1/2 the words he said, and it always drives me nuts when that happens. I usually say something to make people speak up, like- "It's really loud in here! I'm having trouble hearing you!" But he was like, "I know, I didn't want to disturb people who were reading." Laudable, but I still couldn't hear!

RinkRat seems to have a good job, but he doesn't seem to do much other than play hockey and work. And, he lives in a house with an older landlady and some other people... Which I guess is not that unusual, but to me doesn't seem much different than living with your parents. (These aren't friends, he just rents a room in a house.)

He had apparently come from hockey practice and his hair was slicked back (greasy!), he was wearing a baseball cap, a t-shirt, some ill-fitting pants. Now, I would point out that I don't typically expect much from guys these days, so this is par for the course-- however, it was in sharp contrast to Mr.2young, so I feel that I ought to mention it.

After about 2 hours of sitting and drinking coffee, I began to make excuses about having to leave and do some grocery shopping... he was like, "Oh, can I come with you?" ... Not sure how to get out of it... and it was kind of curious-- so I said, "Sure," thinking that I might at least be able to hear something he said in the grocery store. But no. He stayed quiet.

(Oh, I should mention that he hardly asked me any questions about myself. I felt like I was carrying the whole conversation. This is part of the reason I was surprised that he wanted to come grocery shopping with me.)

When we left he gave me a hug and said we should do it again... I said, "Sure," still feeling ambivalent about it.

He has now friended me on facebook which I feel even more ambivalent about... because I've learned he can't spell. eeek.

I don't know-- He's such a blank slate. He's not unattractive, but I just don't find him very interesting at the moment.

I'll give him another chance... but given that *I* was the one to ask HIM out (After he'd been emailing for about 2 weeks) I don't know if he'll get up the gumption to actually ask me to do anything. And I'm not going to be the one to do so.

(Also... I'm a little freaked out by the fact that he seems to be going through my profile with a fine-toothed comb... commenting on pictures that are a couple years old... Sure, stalk me (heaven knows I do it to others...!) but don't be obvious about it!)

(Also, Also... I think part of the thing that freaks me out a little about him is the fact that he prefers those hockey masks that are the old-school horror movie type. Very scary looking.)

No comments: